PONY CAMP DATES FOR 2017
From 9.30 am – 5.30 pm daily, Monday to Friday, on the following dates:
Monday 17th – Friday 21st APRIL (EASTER CAMP)
Monday 3rd – Friday 8th JULY
Monday 17th – Friday 21st JULY
Monday 14th – Friday 18th AUGUST
At our pony camps, children spend a minimum of two hours each day in the saddle. This includes riding instruction in lessons and on treks, and during mounted games. The rest of each day is spent learning about ponies, including how to groom, feed, lead, tack up and care for them. We particularly emphasise and train children in the important of body language and positive reinforcement in the handling of horses and ponies. Instruction is also given on the parts of the saddle and bridle, and on how to clean them. Children are also expected to participate in the hard work of stable management, including mucking out and sweeping the yard. Each camp ends with a gymkhana on the final day, with competitions suitable for all levels of participant and the chance to win rosettes and other prizes.
Pony Camps are geared to teaching riding through the use of natural horsemanship techniques, particularly in relation to creating a bond with your pony in and out of the saddle.
- The camps are suitable for children aged 5 – 18 of all levels of ability, from lead-rein novices to competent jumpers.
- Classes are taught in small groups based on the age and experience of the riders.
- Pony-owners can keep their own ponies at the camp for a small additional charge.
- Children should bring a packed lunch and snacks unless they are staying with us.
- Residential places are available for children aged 12 and over.
- Parents with younger children can stay over for the week.